Many have asked me if my models are CG or physical builds and whether or not my finished images are created using 3D software. Here's what I do:
(click for larger view)
1. I start with a very rough concept by illustrating it in Adobe Photoshop.
2. I create patterns in Adobe Illustrator.
3. I use the patterns to cut pieces from illustration board and build the model. I detail the model using wood shapes and plastic items found around the house. Then I paint and weather the model using powders and finish with dull coat enamel paint.
4. I photograph the finished model in natural sunlight.
5. I knock out the model in Photoshop.
6. And finally, I create composite art using the knocked out model and other images and/or illustrated elements I create keeping in mind the direction of light source at all times so that everything appears to be unified.